Friday, July 31, 2009

Europe Day 58 of 59, London

July 28. The last full day of this trip. We allowed ourselves a late start, which isn't saying much because we have allowed ourselves a late start nearly every day. (Editor's note: Barbie would point out that when she's working until 3 or 4 AM in the hotel room, it's not like waking up at noon is sleeping late. It is sleeping a normal amount of time.) After our later than the rest of the world start, we had a fairly small agenda: hit the Tate Modern, see things on the way there and back, and then meet my Freshman year roommate for dinner. Honestly, I was super excited about that dinner. How often do you get to see someone you have not talked to for 19 years? And to see that person on the last night of a 59 day trip? Fantastic.

The day began with the tube. I never get out my iPhone early enough for the truly long escalator pic. This one is from around 1/3 of the way down. We normally blend in on public transport, looking and acting like locals, but lord knows I didn't blend in when I took a pic of the down escalator every time we descended into the London Underground.

Rats. Damn technology. This pic was upside down on the PC. Somehow the iPhone encoded it in a way that allows the blog to autocorrect. Trust me. It looks very cool upside down. And get this. When I rotate it to be upside down, somehow the blog corrects it again. Spooky magic, the computators.

Out of the underground, we walked over to the Thames. We came across a diagonal walkway between office buildings. Beautifully, they had this channel of water running through the space, leading directly to Tower Bridge. It was too clever to not take a pic. Or ten. (They named this development, "More London." Presumptuous, but acceptably so.)

I really did take this shot around five times, each from a different distance. The funky dome-ish building on the right is London's City Hall, which I like but even as I like it I assume that the architect may be hated by many.

Across the Thames you can see the Tower of London. We visited it a few years ago. No need to visit the crown jewels and medieval armaments again. Are the amazing skies getting dull? Not for me. Look at that mother scratching sky. It's awe inspiring.

Hiding along the skyline, one sees the skyscraper affectionately named The Gherkin. Odd that Barcelona names its similarly shaped tower The Suppository while the notoriously anal British nickname this tower after a small pickle. I never got near either building, did I?

Tower Bridge. Three years ago we watched it go into action as a drawbridge and took an embarrassing number of pictures of the process.

Tip for husbands: When you see a sign that mentions female royalty, you tell your wife to pose next to it.

London Bridge. It's really no uglier than the London Bridge the city sold to that guy in Arizona. This spot does have a fascinating history of bridges that I'll not bore you with, but I recommend reading the Wikipedia entry on London Bridge. There were eras during which it was amazing.

The out of focus finger indicates that this man is about to seriously injure THAT.

We happened across Southwark Cathedral on the south side of London Bridge. We'd better take pictures inside and out, because we have no choice when we see a church.

Turns out Southwark Cathedral is the UK's oldest Gothic cathedral, potentially 800 years old.

How is this for vague? Shakespeare's brother Edmund is buried at this church and they promote the fact that William Shakespeare likely worshipped here, as the Globe Theater of his day was likely nearby. Double likely? I didn't know you put up a statue because it is "likely" someone "might have" spent time somewhere.

A train track runs along the back of the cathedral, and buildings along the front. This beautiful Gothic cathedral is essentially surrounded by obstructions, forcing the intrepid traveller to take close-up pics.

Less than 25 feet from the Southwark Cathedral was the smell of burning meat. We were drawn to it.

That is a lot of pig meat.

Paella and chorizo for him, paella and bread for her. It was... not great. I recommend not eating outdoor Spanish BBQ in London.

There it isn't, the Globe Theater. The real Globe Theater made famous by William Shakespeare closed in 1642. They rebuilt this "Shakespeare's Globe" in 1997, so that suckers like me will take its picture, perhaps buy a ticket, and feel a connection to England's greatest writer.

The Tate Modern, housed in a former power station. It is such a great space, and I love it when old industiral buildings are put to use like this. They do not allow photography inside.

This is inside the Tate Modern, but I figured that I was allowed to take this pic because it is not of the artwork, it is out the window towards the Millennium Bridge that leads you directly to St. Paul's Cathedral. A stunning view and a fantastic pedestrian only bridge.

The Tate Modern has a very good collection, though I think I prefer Madrid's Reina Sofia. There was one moment when I was tempted to try to sneak a pic, and that would be in the room with the gigantic table and chairs. Based on the scale of the furniture, I was eight inches tall in that room.

The Millennium Bridge makes for one of the most picturesque walks in any city in the world.

I took a dozen pictures, so, really, it is self-restrain that I only include two in the blog.

Doesn't St. Paul's look sort of like a monstrous alien, ready to attack the city? Those buildings around it jsut do not match, and the angle makes me think it is somehow stalking its prey. And boy oh boy is the United States Congress "inspired" by that cathedral.

We zipped back home through the underground, and walked along New Bond Street toward the hotel. When we passed the Apple Store, it seemed like I had no choice in the matter.

We now had a strict agenda. Visit some luxury hotels as we walk toward Covent Garden to meet Paul, whom I met the summer of 1985 between my Junior and Senior years of high school and have not seen since 1990.

Amusingly, The Soho Hotel had this group of young women in front waiting to take pictures of and/or get autographs from some celebrity staying there. We did see some on our tour of the hotel, but none I'd expect 15 year old women to worship.

By the way, want to see the most amazing hotel suite in London?

If you checked in to a hotel and this was your suite's living room, I think you can rest assured that your life has gone just fine up to this point.

This is your bedroom. Again, whatever mistakes you have made in life, if you are staying here they were not so bad.

Another oddly rotated pic. Yet I love the "Give Way" sign enough to leave it on the blog in this state.

Yes, musicals are wonderful. Everyone loves musicals. I hate musicals. It's me who is wrong, the rest of you are right. That said, when I see a gigantic high heeled shoe, I take the picture. Also, this movie was wonderful. Too wonderful for me to ever see the musical based on it. Give me Terence Stamp or give me nothing.

We met Paul at the Covent Garden Hotel, had a drink, and then strolled over to an Indian restaurant.

The food was excellent. Absolutely delicious. Perhaps the best Indian food we have ever eaten. We also had a fantastic time with Paul, who was wonderful to see. I only hope we get to meet him, and his wife (who was in France with the kids this time), every time we visit London in the future. Which for us is fairly often.

And now... for your viewing pleasure...

Paul & Jeff, Winter 1986, Santa Barbara, California.

Paul & Jeff, Summer 2009, London, UK.

Honestly, this was the greatest possible way to end two months of travelling. Visiting with a friend who I had not seen for almost two decades was more special than any sightseeing possible. One of the best things about this trip has been the people we have gotten to see along the way. Touring cities is great. Museums are great. Architecture and culture are great. People, meaning friends, are even better.

Tomorrow, at 7 Am, we have to wake up, get ready, and ride the underground to Heathrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment