Saturday, July 11, 2009

Europe Day 41 of 59, Amsterdam to Copenhagen

We didn't have to fly out of Amsterdam until 6 PM, which meant a drive to the airport at 4:30 PM, which meant we had a good chunk of a day to spend in Amsterdam. Bittersweet, because I have come to believe that the longer you spend in Amsterdam the more you enjoy it. I am even to the point that I really wish that New Amsterdam had not been renamed New York. New Amsterdam sounds cooler, really, if you think about it.

Canals are like obelisks. It takes a greater amount of effort to not take a picture of them than it does to acquiesce and take the picture. And then they all turn out beautifully, and I have no choice but to include many of them on the blog.

As you know by now, I am a big fan of public art. Is this a terrible example or what? My Lord, the white thingies are bad enough, but then you add the pink thingies that look like koosh balls and you take it to a new level, don't you. (The odds of the artist ever reading that are a jillion to one, I hope. Normally with art I just say, "I don't get it." Not sure why these catastrophe of public art forced me to show my ugly, critical side.)

If you're having trouble appreciating the canals, do what I do and pronounce the word, "canal," in your head, "kay-null." Fun for all.

On today's agenda we walked to Amsterdam's Jewish History Museum. Here is what I found most interesting. While fighting their 80 year war with Spain for independence, the provinces that made up the Netherlands chose to enforce laws of religious tolerance. A lot of people know that it was here where many Nederlanders made an effort during World War II to help hide their Jewish people, managing to save around 25% from the Nazis.

But what I didn't know was this; the Netherlands created their laws of religious tolerance early, while still warring with Spain. And when terrible things were done in Europe in the name of religion, this is where many fled. The Jews of Portugal, the Protestant Huguenots of France, and others I cannot remember, all fled to the Netherlands and Amsterdam specifically for religious freedom. This influx of talent and knowledge lead directly to their Golden Age, when the Netherlands was one of the most influential and wealthy countries in the world. An age that lasted until they were conquered by Napoleonic France. Where am I going with this? It seems pretty clear that the benefits of tolerance jumped across the Atlantic Ocean to the USA, where a history of immigration has lead to a history of growth and prosperity. Rant complete.

The Amstel River with the Munttoren in the distance. This tower was originally part of the Regulierspoort, one of the main gates in Amsterdam's medieval city wall. It burnt and was rebuilt in 1620, explaining the Renaissance architecture.

A canal with the Zuiderkerk in the distance. You know I love Amsterdam church names. Zuiderkerk means Southern Church. Awesome. From Wikipedia:

The Zuiderkerk was the city's first church built specifically for Protestant services. It was constructed between 1603 and 1611 and stands on the Zuiderkerkhof ("Southern Graveyard") square near the Sint Antoniesbreestraat. The distinctive church tower, which dominates the surrounding area, was not completed until 1614 and contains a carillon of bells built by the brothers Hemony, installed in 1656.

I thought it was time for a pic of a lovely street instead of more canals. Whenever I take a street pic like this I think of Paul's Boutique... and they're in Brooklyn.

This was bizarre. We were in a hurry, so we ate a Burger King in Rembrandt Plein. This woman sat in a chair near the bathroom, taking 30 cents from everyone who wanted to use the bathroom. She did not look like she worked for the restaurant. She looked, honestly, like a beggar with a bitchin' racket. All the locals seemed to have no problem with this. I don't know if she was official or if the people of Amsterdam simply do not mind giving 30 cents to a senior citizen with a scheme.

The Munttoren, Rembrandt Plein. (Plein = Square.)

Hey, this one is about the clouds, not just the canal. (Hope you went with kaynull in your head there.)

My favorite of our three windows, from which you saw so many pictures the last few days, is THERE.

Another ride to the airport, another driver who has no problem writing notes while driving.

You might recall I took a pic of that sign from the opposite side when we arrived in Amsterdam. That makes this a "bookend" shot.

Amsterdam airport has Bubbles, a wine and seafood bar. Is your airport this classy?

I said to Barbie, "Grab & Fly. That used to be my dating strategy." We did in fact grab water and iced tea and then we flew.

Waiting for the flight, this not at all candid photo is all about the Abbey Road tee my wife bought for me at the Las Vegas show, LOVE.

And now a three part photo essay titled, "Waiting."

Waiting, Part One.

Waiting, Part Two.

Waiting, Part Three.

Three portraits of people waiting at the airport. I quite like these. I debate if it is right or wrong to use candids, but we have learned from "Girls Gone Wild" that people in public places are fair game. And I'm capturing their dignity, not their, um, other stuff.

A one hour flight. Nothing.

My first sighting of Denmark,

We hopped onto the metro with our bags (travelling light rules, I have told you this already) and the sky was pretty incomparable. Even through a train car window.

The Copenhagen Metro. The train looks like a headache pill.

Seriously? I said to Barbie, "It looks like they built it last week." Have you ever seen a cleaner, more modern subway station? I took more pics, but suffice to say these subway stations are nicer than your home. Cleaner, too. I've been to your home, so don't bother arguing with me that, "It's pretty clean right now!" Trust me, it's not as clean as this subway station.

My first windowless view of Copenhagen. Open, crisp, beautiful.

The hotel room at D'Angelterre comes with a Price Is Right model.

It also comes with a personal greeting on the tee vee.

Alas, this is our view. You will not be seeing picture after picture out the window in this city.

I have no idea how to use THIS.

We have only ever seen this one other time, and that was on the SeaDream Yachts. One bed, two individual comforters. It's a pretty solid concept.

Copenhagen. I don't think I will see anything dirty here.

A bride in white, her bare shoulder covered with tattoos. It royally stinks that I did not get a better picture.

At dinner with Kelly, who flew out from NYC to meet us! This is her elbow. You will be seeing more of her. In the meantime, check out the water bottle. Damn nice water bottle.

Sushi! We ate at, "Sushitarian." Get it?

This pic was spoiled by my hand jiggling at just the wrong moment. So I tried to save it with a cheeky effect. In my book, it worked.

Good night Copenhagen. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment