Sunday, July 12, 2009

Europe Day 42 of 59, Copenhagen

In mid-July Copenhagen, København to the locals, the sun sets at 10 pm and rises at 4:30 am. And if, perhaps, you are sensitive to light and the hotel blinds are not terribly effective, and if, perhaps, you were up until 3 am writing a travel blog, then waking up at 4:30 am is a serious drag. I managed to go back to sleep by resting a pillow over my face. We have taken measures that it will not happen again, but needless to say I was not happy to wake to the light of day at 4:30 am.
The beginning of the Strøget, the world's longest pedestrian-only shopping street. Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade on steroids.
In the center of Kongens Nytorv, which is across the street from our hotel, is a statue of King Christian V. He designed this square in 1670. Nothing personal, but I could design a square.
The buildings around Kongens Nytorv. It's a beautiful Renaissance era square, that is for certain. Barbie loved this city the moment we came out of the subway station here.
Okay, we jumped on the double-decker touring bus again. And I started taking pictures. And I basically cannot tell you what they all are. But ignorance will not prevent me from sharing the best pics.
This statue had a cool name, which I do not recall.
Gammeltorv, a huge, beautiful square.
I could not get a better picture of this statue, which rests on a pillar. One issue I have with København is that there are electric lines running everywhere. They really prevent a lot of great picture taking.
The Little Mermaid. I cropped out the jillion tourists around it.
Near the little mermaid, this statue gets the cold shoulder from all the tourists photography The Little Mermaid. But not me.
The Gefion Fountain, which depicts the mythical story of the creation of the island of Zealand on which Copenhagen is located. I could tell you the myth, but instead I'd like to focus on the funny things one learns while travelling. I never knew that Copenhagen was partially on the island Zealand, which obviously tells me where the name New Zealand came from. As well as the Muppet Show character Lew Zealand.
Amalienborg Palace, the winter home of the Danish royal family. The royal yacht is across the harbor. By the way, the Queen of Denmark was born the same year as my mother. She is, if you did not know, the Queen of Studio City, California.
Barbie and Kelly, who met each other at the age of 11. I told you that Kelly would make the blog.
There is not a Starbucks to be seen in Copenhagen, yet there are 7-11's everywhere.
At the end of the Strøget one sees what has to be the classiest looking McDonald's on Earth. Then again, you saw how beautiful and clean the subway station was. Why wouldn't McDonald's be held to a higher aesthetic here?
Located across from city hall on the Rådhuspladsen, which translates to City Hall Square, this renaissance era building is now a hotel. Still beautiful.
Not sure what going on with image number two.
This little guy was too cute to not share. I smiled at his Dad who gave me a dude nod indicating clear permission to photograph his boy.
The boy and this pic were taken inside Tivoli, which we ignorantly thought was an amazing, old garden. It is actually a modern theme park. We got out of there pretty fast.
Punching the shark. Not at all like jumping the shark
Kicking the crab. Not at all like kicking the bucket.
(Barbie would correct me by saying, "No, I'm not kicking it. It has my foot in its claw." But you cannot see that clearly enough. My caption remains.)
Kelly's modern interpretation of The Birth of Venus by Botticelli.
Obelisk. Danish Obelisk!
St. Nickolaj Church. It has a restaurant inside, on the other side of this building. Not sure if it still functions as a church at all. But dang is it picturesque.
Back at the hotel, we took a look at the pool. In order to be let in to walk around the pool, Barbie had to put on these. (Yes, I should have pointed.) Now do you see how clean this city is? You have to wear booties to look at pools!
Nyhavn canal, which in days long ago was the "naughty" part of town where sailors enjoyed the things that sailors enjoy.
The Operahus. The roof is so large it that two football (soccer, not USA football) fields would fit up there. Between you and me, I think a certain city thought that they should compete with Sydney and place a massive opera house on their bay.
Amalienborg Palace from the water, with the sun robbing me of the shot I want yet providing something else.
The official bird of København, the swan.
The Church of Our Saviour is a baroque church that has an amazing corkscrew spire with an external winding staircase that can be climbed to the top, offering extensive views over central Copenhagen. That climb may make tomorrow's agenda.
Havnerundfart. Translation: immature fart joke.
Two statues and a Spire.
Ask yourself this. In order to get a picture of a seagull in flight with an iPhone camera, you must be aware of the half second delay that occurs after you press the touchscreen. And if you move the phone or the subject moves to fast, you get a blur. All I'm really trying to say is that this shot was amazingly unlikely for me to get, and I got it. The satisfaction felt by me was greater than it should have been. And still is.
A small statue in front of the only establishment along Nyhavn which the sailors of old would still want to visit.
That is not the moon, it is a hanging streetlamp.
We went to 7-11 for bottles water at 10:30 pm. The 7-11 was staffed by two quite young and quite pretty women. Can you imagine walking into a 7-11 in the USA at night and seeing pretty young women alone behind the counter? København is a unique place.
And with that, I bid you good night.

3 comments:

  1. El Heff, what an amazing task you are doing! Uplifting and daring, with many revelations. Titles never before heard in our local environs. Yo Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks a fantastic place - will definitely be adding it to my list of cities to visit!

    ReplyDelete