Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Europe Day 44 of 59, Copenhagen to Frankfurt

Time to say good bye to the cleanest city EVER. While yours truly was checking out of the hotel, Barbie took the iPhone to get a picture of the mounted police outside.

Five dollars says that this woman thought to herself, "Nice horsey."

For our last day in Copenhagen we did not have anything major on our list. Sure, we could have hit the National Gallery and seen some art. But Barbie felt like shopping, so I hit Kongens Nytorv and sat on a bench relaxing, drinking iced tea, and taking pics of strangers. I stole that idea from the movie "Smoke," where Harvey Keitel's character took pictures of the same corner day after day, the corner not changing but the people in it different every time. They might make a cool photo essay or slide show when I have time later on, but for now they do not make the blog.

Self portrait.

(It was upside down on my PC. Looked cooler that way.)

I remembered that portraits, even self portraits, are supposed to be in black & white. I tried to flip it upside-down and somehow it self corrected. Damn technology.

Finally, the shot. The shot we wanted bad. On the left, a beggar. On the right, a beggar with a viking costume. The difference? The viking costume.

Taking the subway back to the airport, I noticed that this train, unlike all others I had ever ridden, had a clear window facing the tunnel. This makes Barbie's second blog pic of the day, as she had to go take this one as I was trapped in a corner by our bags. How cool is that? And need I say it? Clean. The Copenhagen subway is clean even between stations.

Good bye clean-enough-to-eat-off-of subway car.

It was not until I saw this on my netbook that I realized I took a picture of a sign reading, "No Photography."

Our ride to Frankfurt, Germany. I mean Deutschland. I am writing today's blog post offline, but when I get online I am definitely looking up how, "Deutchland," in the native tongue became, "Germany," in English. España = Spain, fine. Italia = Italy, fine. Deutchland = Germany, are you kidding me? There had better be a reason. (After minimal Wikipedia research, it appears "Deutsch" was the indigenous name and "Germania" a name given by the Roman Empire. So this case of cultural ignorance/stubbornness/imperialism goes back pretty far.)

Our last view of Denmark.

Copenhagen to Frankfurt. One hour, fifteen minutes.

The first view of Deutschland.

We got to our hotel in no time at all, and tomorrow I shall have to take pictures of it. Villa Kennedy is swanky to the max.

Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries awaited us in our swanky hotel room.

Our swanky hotel room from the bed side.

Our swanky hotel room from the sitting area side. (Why not call it a sitting area?)

One can take the time to kick up one's feet and relax when not by a pool, you know.

But it makes the most sense by the pool.

How gorgeous and modern is this pool? Up above you see Barbie in her robe, getting drinks in the sitting area. I forgot to call the pool swanky.

My back and neck have been hurting from an unfriendly pillow situation in Copenhagen. Jacuzzi time was essential.

Dinner equals room service.

From left to right; Caesar salad with prawns, Gnocchi multicolore with parmesan and summer truffle, Spinach-ricotta ravioli with lemon butter and Norway lobster.

And now... CNN in bath robes until bedtime.

1 comment:

  1. zee feets, she is lookin' good n' clean. zee food yum. Sleep well. Love Queenie

    ReplyDelete