Sunday, July 25, 2010

EuroTour 2010, Day 26, Prague to Stockholm

Time to say good-bye to Prague.  You know, the Waste is going to be most pleasant to write today.  No research.  No history.  No information.  Just pictures that take us from Bohemia to Scandinavia.

Checking out of The Augustine.  When we were checking in, I took a picture of the lobby but it was not up to Waste standards.  This picture is far better.

We got into our car and went to pick up Josh at the Hilton.  Since his flight to London leaves just 20 minutes after our flight to Stockholm, it only makes sense to give him a ride.

Prague airport.  I was tempted to black and white it, but there is not exactly a lot of color in this picture to begin with.

Air travel.  Making people miserable is what it is all about.  Thank goodness we are flying business class.

In Prague Airport there seems to be what one might call a lack of ethnic sensitivity.  Note the very Czech face on that Arab sheik.

The Czech Airlines business lounge.  Nice, but it certainly lacks the red plexiglass of Air Italia's sala.

When you boil it down, planes a very cool.  That is not the plane that is taking us to Stockholm, but you can pretend it is.  Same paint job as our plane.

How interesting is it that CitiBank has chosen to spend advertising dollars slapping their logo all over the Prague airport.   I wonder if this would lead a Czech to say, "I must put my money in that American bank with the bad press."

Get this.  As our flight was about to take off, I looked over and saw a British Airlines jet.  My friend Josh is on that plane.  How often do you see an airplane on a runway and you know a person on it?  And in a different country?  If you say, "All the time," I am not going to like it.

My last view of Prague.

As I mentioned, we took off in the rain.  It was cloudy and miserable out there.  We climbed through the clouds, and then suddenly we broke through and saw clear-blue sky.

The blue sky over Prague, just above the rain clouds.  No, you are not supposed to take pictures during take off.  I am confident that my iPhone in airplane mode is not going to crash the plane.

Barbie surprised me with this.  In the airport, she went to spend the Czech crowns we had left.  Little did I know that she bought Grilled Bacon flavored potato chips.  Why is this flavor not available in the states?  Write to your Senators about this.

My first view of Sweden, ever.

I normally take a picture as we are getting into the car that fetches us at the airport.  Normally these pics do not make the Waste, but that control tower pushed this one over the edge.

We got to the Grand Hotel Stockholm, got to our room, and looked out the window.

Our view is what you might call wonderful.

That island has a name that nobody uses, because they call it Gamla Stan.  This means, "The Old Town."  Before 1980 it was called Staden mellan broarna, "The Town Between the Bridges."  I think I prefer the old name.

Here comes a treat that I did not prepare you for; we are meeting my parents in Stockholm and the four of us will be together for the rest of EuroTour 2010.  After settling into the Grand Hotel, we met my parents downstairs for dinner.

My mother's salmon with mussels thrown on top.

Barbie's mussels.

My father's sirloin, apparently chopped into pieces the way that Swedes like it.

For me, the Pig From Rocklunda Farm - Duo.  "Side of pork confit with a plum gravy and lavender fried loin of pork with tender vegetables."  

Considering my mother had barely slept on the flight over, we walked them to their room, made sure that their internet was working, and said good night. 

I do not want the last picture of the night to be food.

There.

Good night.


Comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment