Friday, July 16, 2010

EuroTour 2010, Day 17, Florence to Rome

Our final morning in Florence was all about efficiently getting ready, eating breakfast, and catching a train.  But efficiency does not mean we cannot do it with style.  

Barbie having her last breakfast in our suite's library.  We have a friend in Los Angeles, Jean-Francois from Montreal, who put in quite a lot of effort to turn part of his living room into a library.  I think he is onto something.  Libraries are simply wonderful rooms.  

Instead of leaving from Florence's central train station, we catch the high-speed train to Roma from a smaller satellite station, less crowded and closer to our hotel.  I must have a great travel agent.

Empty tracks offer the promise of movement.

First class all the way, baby.  Those suckers in the other cabins do not get complimentary tea and crackers.

I took this pic of a stopped train at the station, and before I started watching DVD's on the iPhone I messed with it on the Glowing Art app.  I kind if like the result.  I am tempted to say that this picture is unaltered, and somehow the iPhone picked up traces of a supernatural or alien presence.  But no.  My fingertips placed those specs.

Pulling into the Rome station, one is immediately greeted with the presence of the ancient.

Checking into the Westin Excelsior, one is immediately greeted with the presence of the modern.

After getting our bags, and Sean & Lon's bags, into our room, we all agreed that the mood was right for the Hard Rock Cafe.  Sixteen days of authentic, Italian food earns you a burger and nachos.

Jeff's burger, a bit eaten.  I left all the fries in an attempt to moderate the fat intake.  A pittance, I know.

Barbie's pulled pork nachos.  For those of you who followed with us last year, in this very Hard Rock last year Barbie ordered this very dish, and after some delay the waitress came to our table and said, nervously, "There is a problem with the pig meat."  It took a few exchanges for us to understand that they were out of pulled pork.  To commemorate this, Barbie said to the waiter, "I'll have the nachos with the pig meat."  It was a poetic moment.

The Hard Rock Roma.

My wife is THERE.

Our hotel, the Westin Excelsior.  I adore this Renaissance-style building.  And it does not hurt that it has great rooms, heavenly beds, heavenly showers, and an indoor pool.

Did I mention it is over 100 degrees in Rome today?  It is.  Insane heat.  That indoor pool is going to get used this visit.

Sean wanted very much for me to take a picture of the Prada shoes he bought in Florence and include them on The Waste.  He has friends who need to see these shoes.  Who am I to stand between a man and his dreams?

Sean & Lon got their bags and headed to Benedetta's apartment, Barbie got some work done and I checked email.  Soon, Barbie joined me napping, and soon enough after that we were awake and needed to get ready for dinner.  Brooke, the lovely Montanian we met in Rapallo, is here in Rome, staying down the street at the same hotel we stayed at in 2006.  (Last year we stayed here, and I have hunch we will always stay at the Excelsior in Rome, forever more.)  Brooke will be joining us for dinner, as we meet up with Sean & Lon and their hostess, the wonderful Benedetta, whom you got to see us eat dinner with last year.

Piazza Trilussa, an excellent meeting point.  As you can see, lots of people are meeting here.  We planned to meet up with our friends a half block away, where it is less crowded.

Benedetta cruising up on her scooter.  There are smiles and there are Smiles.  Benedetta's always deserves to be capitalized.

Googling this restaurant proved difficult, as it turns out the owner opened a second restaurant and renamed this one, Miraggio Club.  I barely looked at the menu.  Grilled calamari and eggplant parmigiana shall be ordered.

Never before have we seen a glass Coke bottle is this large.  One litre.  That much sugar in one place, the beast in me wanted to grab it and run up a tree to consume it in private.

Brooked was telling a story of her time in Florence, one that happened while we were in Rimini and that cannot be retold to an all ages crowd, and I thought I would take a picture of Sean & Lon's happily impressed faces.  But then Lon caught me, pointed and asked if I was video recording, which made for a much better photograph.

Calamari alla grilla.  

Melanzanne parmigiano.  Should I be embarrassed that eggplant parmesan is one of the Italian phrases I can pronounce best?  No.  This is quite practical.

Barbie presents to you our home away from home, the Westin Excelsior Roma.  This being our third visit to Rome, and second time at this hotel, we are feeling very at home.  In fact, next to New York, Rome may be our most visited city.  Ours as in Barbie and I together.  Oops, Vegas.  I am quite sure that the list of cities we have most visited together goes; Vegas, NYC, Rome.  Not a bad list.  Bonn will catch up soon, based upon the fact that my brother and his family live there.  In fact, Bonn will tie Rome this trip at three visits.

Do not expect too many pictures or sight seeing.  We have seen quite a bit of Rome, and considering the 100 degree heat, we may opt to recharge our batteries and do very little here.  But I promise a few sunsets and such.

Time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment