Monday, July 19, 2010

EuroTour 2010, Day 20, Rome

Today will be our most mellow day in Roma.  After braving our way through the heat for two days, charging towards the sights regardless of the temperature, today we have decided to dial it back a tad.  We begin the day with an important task; drop some laundry off at the lavenderia.

We know from last year that we can drop our laundry off two blocks behind the hotel.  On the way, I turned back to point out that our room's balcony is right THERE.

She speaks no English, but this makes two years in a row that we drop our laundry off with her.  To tell us when to pick up the clothes tomorrow, she pointed to 11 on the wall clock.

Time for Barbie to meet Brooke at the spa for the two of them to get massages.  I sat in the air conditioned room reading and writing.  I thought maybe I should go for a walk, but before I knew it Barbie was back in the room and ready for lunch.

Hard Rock.  Why not?

Barbie and Brooke ordered the pulled pork nachos, but our server forgot the pig meat.  He came to us later to apologize, but we were fine without it.

Barbie's cob salad.

My pulled pork BBQ sandwich.  I said no fries, but then Barbie wanted my fries, so I got the fries.  Proudly, I ate almost none of them.  

After lunch we went for a walk through Villa Borghese to check out a hotel on the other side where Sean & Lon are checking in later today.

I made Barbie pose in front of this piazza in Villa Borghese, but the best picture is this one, where she turned to see the birds.

A building to the side of the Borghese Gallery.  I assume it was once part of the Borghese residence.   Cardinal Scipione Borghese had this all built, and I will tell you the very short version of his life story.  His father fell upon hard financial times, and his wealthy uncle took him under his wing and paid for his education.  When that uncle become Pope Paul V in 1605, he made Scipione a Cardinal.  Scipione used his status and wealth as a patron of the arts, championing Bernini and collecting the works of various artists.  Our hotel booked us at the Galleria Borghese at 3 PM tomorrow.  I wait until then to say more.

How is this for a micro gas station.  Pull up to the curb on the street and there are two pumps.

Walking home from Villa Borghese, the moon makes its usual early appearance.  It has been against blue sky for our entire visit to Rome.

You got to see the columns of our balcony from the street today.  I might as well share with you the view from up here.  Not beautiful, but I am sure that if it ever went below 80 we would have enjoyed this nice, spacious balcony.

We got into a cab to head to Trastevere, where we have reservations at one of last year's culinary highlights, Taverna Trilussa.

The view from the Ponte Sisto.  We got out of the cab and I saw the light fading in the sky and knew I wanted to run out on the bridge to get a shot of the river just after sunset.  It was well worth the short jog.

Trastevere, this hippest of neighborhoods in Rome.  Nothing but beautiful young people on dates.  It made me want to be a beautiful, young person.

Taverna Trilussa, where we met two friends for dinner last year and loved it so much that we had to come back.

Lon's baby artichokes.  He gave me one and it was delicious.

My pasta, which has a cool name that I cannot remember.  There are two items on the menu that are listed as award winning, meaning that the restaurant entered them in some competition and took home the prize.  This pasta which I cannot name is one.  I am pretty furious with myself, because I said that I wanted to take a picture of the menu so that I could name this pasta and its ingredients, and then did not get around to it. 

Update:  Bomboloti all Norcina.  Half-cut rigatoni with sausages, mushrooms, and cream.  It took half a day of googling to track that down.

Barbie's Mimosa Ravioli is the other award winner.  The ingredients to the Mimosa Ravioli are actually a secret.  The menu simply lists it as, "Mimosa Ravioli, which won an award and we will not tell you how we make it so good."  (Paraphrasing.)

Soon enough it was time for dessert.  We were not going to get anything, but Lon had spotted the dessert case inside and went with the waiter to pick out some delights.

Mousse, Tiramisu, and Custard.

A chilled wedge of watermellon.  Barbie's request, and it was sweet and delicious.

Profiteroles.

Fresh strawberries under cream.  Only a little strawberry is peeking out, but it is there.

Well fed, too well fed in fact, we walked over to Piazza Sonnino, which I remembered from previous visits has a taxi stand.

There was a street festival going on tonight, and this small church had these lovely lights on.

They look better up close.  Inside is a lighted mannequin of a saint of some sort.  The street fair also featured lots of shopping booths and such, but it was not exactly photogenic.

On the way home, as our taxi passed through Piazza Barberini, we saw the Volkswagon Beetle sitting as if on display on the sidewalk.  I suppose if you had a perfectly preserved Beetle in Rome you would park it on the sidewalk as well.

There we go.  Our lest eventful day of the trip so far.  But we did need the rest.

Time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment