Friday, June 5, 2009

Europe Day 5 of 59, Paris

Today was a mellow day. we planned to do little or nothing, but ended up heading to Jim Morrison's grave after lunch. Did you know that if you type "Jim Morrison's Tomb," into google maps and choose hybrid, as in satellite + street info, it actually shows you not just the cemetary but the actual plot? Madness, this internet.

The lunch highlight was this rather extravagant version of prosciutto and melon. There's a whole half melon under all that salty, thinly sliced pork.

Here's a lovely shot of the Pere Lachaise cemetary. There's something about Eurpoean cemeteries that isn't creepy at all. In the US&A, you feel like you have to whisper and walk carefully to not disturb the dead. In Europe, it's like you're hanging out with dead friends who are glad you came over.

And here it is... apparently the more famous version of Jim's tomb was taken away. Too much graffitti or something like that. I took a picture anyway. After all, how many guys who wrote tenth grade level poetry became this well known? Yeah, I said it.

Next we strolled over to Chopin's tomb. I mentioned to those around me that he was most famous for writing, "Chopsticks." We couldn't find Oscar Wilde's tomb. And I had all sorts of terrible comments brewing in my head for that one.

After looking at this subway ad several times, I finally paused to take a picture today. I always enjoy how other cultures draw their lines concerning breasts in advertising.

Finally, since today was mellow and not all that picture oriented, I am tossing in a pic from the other night. Barbie ordered soda and this is what she got. "Pschitt!" How kickass is that?

Jeff Howard
Sent from my iPhone or my computer or something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment