Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Europe day 3 of 59, Paris

Today marks the first day that we woke up in Paris. I actually woke up at 4am, and didn't seem to return to sleep for more than a few minutes here and there, so perhaps it would be more accurate to say that last night marks the first night I woke up in Paris. (No nap today, so I expect to sleep like a mother trucker.)

The first pic is based on that urge to share what this apartment is like. It's wonderful, but as my "travel light to the extreme" ethos inspired me to bring no camera and instead rely entirely on the iPhone, well, there's not exactly a wide-angle lens at my disposal. Hopefully this pic does a little justice to this lovely, spacious apartment. (4 Rue Blanche, for the google map obsessed.)

Today was the day our lovely hosts showed us around, starting with a lunch that was in the $600 range for four people. Delicious but, um, I say fouquet.

We then walked over to the Pompodou and saw a pretty extensive Kandisnky exhibit as well Calder, the American sculptor who moved to Paris and started bending wires like nobody's business. Great exhibits, but before the exhibits I hit what the French call Les Toilette and saw this beautiful example of modern art.

I cannot read French, but I am pretty certain that this says somehting like, "Sarkozy, making forceful love to the French in their bottoms."

After sharing that pic with one and all, we went up to th sixth floor for some Kandinsky and Calder, and wouldn't you know the view from up there was pretty great. And who cares if the iPhone doesn't zoom. If I feel like it I can crop.

Off in the distance, you can see what the French call the "Tower of Paris ." There might be another name for it, but who has the time to ask around?


Not only can you see the Pompidou pond, but up in the corner is the Parisian response to the battle of the catholic buildings, Notre Dame.

I was going to try to limit myself to maybe four pics per day, but how awesome is it that for the Europeans "Terminator Salvation" is called "Terminator Renaissance." The joys of marketing.

We then did something that we rarely do. We took a ride on a river tourist cruise. It was cool. You knew it was a good tour because more than half the people on board were camera holding Asians.

Pretty bridge, no?

I took way too many pics on this boat ride, but suffice to say this pic of the Tower of Paris from the Seine is one of the best.

And, finally, we stopped in a chocolate store called "Fouquet." You can imagine how I pronounce this word in my head. It could be months before I stop saying, "Fouquet," to express the desire to ignore something.

Sent from my iPhone or my computer or something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment