Saturday, August 13, 2011

Around The World 2011 Day 46: Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon has been nice, but it is time to pack it up.  Today we leave the world of hotels, that has defined our existence for 7 weeks and 3 days, and enter the world of... yachting.  I have been looking forward to this change of pace, and Barbie has as well.  The nicest part of it is that we have just one airport left between us and home.

But before we can move onward, we must have our last breakfast on dry land and then check out.
They served breakfast crepes today, which I think others would call Swedish pancakes.  And quiche.  All good things.
The final view out of a hotel window.  I suppose I am making too much of this.  But let me ask you this; when was the last time you lived in hotels for 45 straight days?  Trump card.  Played.
This Lisbon Four Seasons is actually quite elegant.  I never got great pictures of it as we were always on the move, but this is a hotel I can highly recommend.
Driving to the harbor.  Of course, in Lisbon you are never far from a harbor.  Yesterday I asked Jorge if the Portuguese were great explorers because their country is surrounded by the Atlantic, and he told me that they originally took to the sea in order to fight the Moors on their own turf of North Africa.  From there they focused on navigation and exploration, and the wealth that it brought through trade.  I do not want to be guilty of never mentioning that there were times that said trade was human, as in the slave trade.  There.
Harbors are rarely photogenic.  They are places of containers and cranes.  I took this as the closest thing to a welcome sign that I could share with you.
We met Ira and Robin from New York while waiting to board.  True to form, Barbie chipped in and got a shot of them with the SeaDream behind them.  This is their first cruise ever, let alone with SeaDream.  For us, it is the third SeaDream cruise.  Clearly we like them apples.
We got into our room and at long last I am treated to a great view of the bridge and Lisbon's Christ the Redeemer.
Up top, I got this shot of the bridge, the Christ and the sailboat.  I do not think I mentioned that this 25 de Abril bridge is the 21st longest suspension bridge in the world.  Done.
Closer.
Closer still.  And by closer, I mean a closer crop.
Barbie at the lifeboat drill.
I knew I going to get to see my favorite monument, the Padrão dos Descobrimentos, from the water, but I had no idea it would look that much like a ship from this angle.
This marker is placed at the exact spot where you officially leave the river and enter the Atlantic Ocean.  You have to hand it to the Portuguese, they take their seafaring seriously and pay it the respect it deserves.
Barbie smiles as we head out to sea.  Next to her is Holly, from nearby Laguna.  Hey, when you are off the coast of Portugal, Brentwood and Laguna are suddenly nearby.

We had arranged with Ira and Robin to have dinner together.  They came to Europe early and did a few days in Barcelona, a few in Ibiza, and then a few in Lisbon.  And in Lisbon they bought wines which cannot be found in North America.  How lucky are we?  They brought a bottle and offered to share it with us.
Not only was this an excellent wine, but this has to be one of the best labels I have seen.  The little hand drawn cow Matilde is cute as heck.  For the record, I just googled the winery and learned the following: Malhadinha Red presents a deep intense colour and good concentration. We can easily identify in the aroma, black fruit notes. In the mouth shows a good volume with firm tannins combining with great barrels and acidity extremely balanced.

And now, for the people who have been slightly disappointed with the lack of over-the-top meals in the Waste this trip, prepare yourself for the beginning of a week of SeaDream meals.
His starter; Serrano ham with Melon Tricolore, Caramelized Figs, Grissini and Crushed Black Pepper.
Her starter; Chilled Avocado Tartar with Marinated Baby Shrimps and Herm Créme Fraiche.
Second course for him; Cream of Broccoli with Roasted Almond Flake Soup.
Second course for her; Boston and Mache Lettuce with Parmesan Flakes, Cherry Tomatoes, Toasted Pine Nuts and Honey Mustard Dressing.
Her main course; Fresh Yellow Fin Tuna Steak on Roasted Zucchini, Tomato and Olive Salsa with Aceto Balsamico.
His main course; Oven Baked Duck Breast with Potato Blini, Red Cabbage and Sauce Caramel d'Epice.
From left to right; Robin (I realize that I may have to correct the spelling of her name at some point), Ira, Barbie, and Yours Truly.
Her dessert;  Fresh Sorbet.
His dessert; Grand Marnier Souffle.

There.  You happy?  It has been a while since you have gotten a full meal with full descriptions.  Everything tonight was top notch.
We finished the evening with The Daily Show.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment