Saturday, March 26, 2011

NYC, March 2011, Day 3

Do not misunderstand me.  I get it.  The New York City routine is truly a routine.  We make no effort to change that.  There is no, "Hey, let us do something today that we would never do."  The fact is that we have many, many friends to visit here and for some reason said visits can only be over meals.  So... yeah... I wake up, play with Oreo, shower, and then go eat with people and then eat with more people and then call it a night.

This is how we roll.
Oreo at his spot on the couch where I always seem to find him after I wake up.
Oreo is the coolest, sweetest, cutest cat around...  I'll miss him soon.

We headed over to the nearby Momofuku Noodle Bar.  It is all about the ramen.
Lisa steps in for Barbie, showing the Wasters one her favorite places in New York.  She said that every time she comes to NYC, she hits Momofuku.  
You know that I am a sucker for the mirror image shot.
The first thing that was brought to us was the Grilled Octopus.  If your memory is good, you will know that I often consider octopus to be my favorite seafood.
Steamed buns with pork.  Look close enough and you will see just how much fat is there.  You really cannot beat it.
Even the youngest member of our party enjoyed Momofuku.
Steamed buns with shiitake.  Delicious and less, shall we say, oozey than the pork.
Cauliflower – brown butter, pine nuts, golden raisins.
Roasted brussels sprouts – benton’s bacon, apples, bonito.
Momofuku Candid.  March 2011.  The woman at bottom left center is looking directly into the lens, but I still consider this a candid.

I did not get a picture of the Momofuku ramen – pork belly, pork shoulder, poached egg – but I dare say that it was the best ramen I have ever had.
Outside a Manhattan Mommy shows off what we have seen all over the city; children morphed into teddy bears.

Now, after a meal like that, what does one do?  Walk three blocks to Momofuku Milk Bar, their dessert bar.
Interesting how the word milk denotes sweets in some cultures.
I got the Candy Bar Pie soft serve.  This is super fluffy ice cream made with chocolate crust, caramel, peanut butter nougat, and pretzels.  I assume the fluffiness comes from extra milk fat, because the level of deliciousness here was beyond reason.

After our afternoon dessert, it was decided we would hop on the train to Brooklyn and visit our friends in Williamsburg whose child is the same age as Elyse, whom you spotted above at the noodle bar.  When we visited a year ago in the pouring rain, Steve and Julia had just moved to Williamsburg after having their son Jayden.  Even in the rain at night their home was spectacular, and we cannot wait to see it in the daylight.
Jayden and Elyse hit it off, I think, about as well as you can expect 16 month olds to hit it off.  Nobody shoved or hit anybody, you-know-what-I-mean?
The view of Manhattan from Steve and Julia's place.  It really cannot be beat.
Barbie and myself posing with the skyline.
The view, unfettered by evidence of the windows.

Steve convinced us to all walk over to the Brooklyn Bowl, where the dance floor on weekend afternoons is kiddie heaven.  They let those little critters run free.
For some reason I found this lone, anachronistic Brooklyn water tower very photogenic.
Barbie welcomes you to the Brooklyn Bowl.
There is no better form of entertainment.
Jayden really liked this girl.  Seriously.  After this he started hugging her and hugging her.  This boy knows what he likes.
Yet another shot of the Manhattan skyline from the Williamsburg Bridge.  File your complaints with management.
This picture fascinates me.  Sometimes I accidentally turn the flash on, and when I want to take pictures subtly the flash is a bad thing.  When I start to take a picture and see that the flash is about to go off, I quickly move the iPhone to my leg to absorb the flash.  In this case, I moved it to my palm and this rather expressionistic photograph was taken.  I love it.  If anyone else loves it let me know.
When I managed to take a taxi shot without the flash on, I caught this wonderful flare.
Tonight's dinner shall be served at Veritas.  Please dress sharply.  Actually, I am quite excited about tonight's dinner.  You see, Kory and Hubert will be there, and I have not seen Hubert since the pre-Waste days when we met in Aspen and over dinner the Parisian Hubert told me that I looked like, "An Eeetalyan Fuutbowl Oooligahn."  One of the finest and most memorable things that has ever been said to me.
A picture of people, not food.  Happy people.
Crudo plate.
Barbie's beet salad.  Unique presentation.
My lentil soup.
I must confess.  I did something that I am ashamed of.  I held up the wine and said, disdainfully, "The wine's marginal."  Puns do not help anyone.
Barbie and I both ordered the scallops.
An ice cream and sorbet sampler.  Ordered by the ladies.
A seven cheese plate.  Ordered by the menfolk.
People.  People enjoying a meal.

Perhaps it is from going in and out of below 40 degree weather all day, but we have been crazy tired.  Therefore, I was briefer than usual because, really, I want to get to bed.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment