Friday, September 10, 2010

Four Season Resort Maui, Hawai'i 2010, Day 4

The days in Maui tend to blend together, which is a good thing.  You do not come to Maui to embark on a fascinating adventure every day that makes it completely unlike the day before.  You come to Maui to relax.  Even when you work a few hours every day like Barbie does, Maui makes you feel unwound in a good way.

One of the cool things about the Four Seasons Resort Maui is that there is a free outrigger canoe ride.  We signed up for it when we got here, and now the day has arrived.  But first...
Room service breakfast.  Benedictine eggs, split for two.
Barbie prepares herself mentally for the outrigger ride.  It turns out we will not be mere passengers on a canoe propelled by muscular local men folk.  We will be rowing.  After a quick lesson on the Hawaiian calls that will tell us when to start rowing, which side to row on, and when to stop, it was time to hop into that outrigger and head out into the Pacific.
I had to bring the iPhone out on the water.  Fortunately, they had a waterproof bag on board to hold such items.  But the truth is that I would have risked keeping it in my pocket for you, the loyal Wasters.  I was pretty confident in my ability to not fall into the ocean.  And had I fallen into the ocean, my first instinct would have been to hold the iPhone over my head as I tread water.
My feet have canoed off the coast of Wilea, Maui.  Rick does not read the Waste, or he would have known what an honor it is that he got to be pictured with the feet.
Yours truly, oarsman.  Monique is swimming, and the reason I am not in the water is because she had just announced that a jellyfish had stung her.  When someone says that jellyfish has just stung them on the butt, I stay in the canoe.
Panorama off the coast of Wilea, Maui.  While shooting the panorama, I was focused on stitching the horizon together correctly.  Note that as I did this, the canoe drifted so that Monique appears in two places at once.  An accidental version of the panoramas where I sneak Barbie into every frame.

After seeing some sea turtles who popped their heads out of the water far too briefly for photography, we rowed ashore and the reward for our hard work was lunch.
Barbie's quinoa.
My sashimi and California roll.

In some alternate universe, there is a Jeff eating sashimi every day and wishing that he could be healthy and have turkey dogs more often.
Barbie prepares to zoop down the kiddie slide.  (Onomatopoeia for the win.)  (That was what we call a meta-comment for the one percenters.)
Action shot!   Yes, I love how she is struggling to keep her head above water.
Elyse arrives at the pool in her finest socks.
Mother and daughter by the pool, as daughter enjoys an apple.
Elyse really, really likes that apple.

After having lunch at Ferraro's every day and dinner somewhere else, we finally decide to have dinner at Ferraro's.
Barbie and I shared this soft shell crab risotto as a starter.  Soft shell crab amazes me.  Every time, I think to myself, "Can I just eat this shell?"  Then I eat the shell, and it does not kill me, and I feel that a smal miracle has happened.
For our main course, we shared this New York steak with a fantastic mushroom rub sort of coating on top.

And with that, another day in paradise has concluded.  Tomorrow...  we venture to a different island.  An island we have never visited before.  If I used exclamation points much, I would have used one right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment