Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Four Season Resort Maui, Hawai'i 2010, Day 2

I know that everyone thinks that we are in Hawai'i just relaxing every day.  I get that.  Why would someone not relax every day in Hawai'i?  


The answer is that Barbie works every day of the year, no matter where we are in the world.  I could take pictures of us both spending time in the room working on the laptops, but I think that would bring even greater meaning to this blog's title.  (And that was a big step, my using the word blog.  Man, do I hate that word.  Is it too pretentious to call this a, "travel journal"?  Oh yes it is.)


We are now done with the pre-amble.  Let me start you this day with lunch.
Another lunch, another Pacific view.
Barbie's Niçoise Salad.
First, let me tell you that every time I see this salad on a menu, in my mind I say it, "Nik-oh-eese-ee."  Yes, I do.  And, for the record, the menu reads, "Miso Tuna, Soft Boiled Egg, Tomato, Capers, Peppers, Potatoes, Endive, Haricot Vert, Pesto Dressing."  I would say by presentation alone this Niçoise Salad should win an award.  Something you may have not noticed about me is that I do not eat salad.  Ever.  You have seen me eat over a hundred meals on the Waste, people.  Have you ever seen a salad in front of me?  No, you have not.  Yet that salad right there, I would not hate.  I might even like it.  The concept alone freaks me out.
Hawaiian Tuna Sashimi and California Roll
My lunch.  Technically an appetizer.  If I ate this for lunch every day for the rest of my life, I might look much, much better not in clothes.
Dessert.
Okay.  Perhaps dessert counters the whole looking better not in clothes concept.  But look at that plate and tell me that you would resist.
Maui Cone. 
Whale Statue + Yours Truly
I do not think that you would be surprised to hear that I nearly pulled several muscles mimicking that whale.
Our room is right THERE.
(Disclaimer:  I believe our room is actually the room to the left of where the finger indicates.  I apologize for the miscalculation.  I would never seek to deceive you.)
You have seen this pool before, but not just near sunset.
Sunset.  Wailea, Maui.
The alignment of Lana'i to our position means that you basically do not see much orange at sunset.  Looking at the beauty of that sky, the lack of orange is not what I would call an issue.


We went for dinner to... Gannon's at the Wailea Golf Club.  Chef Bev Gannon runs the joint, and comes by the table to say hello and is sincerely nice.  I know what you are saying, "Lots of restaurants have the executive chef who comes by and says hello."  Let me cut to the end of the evening.


We rode to dinner in the Four Seasons' courtesy shuttle; i.e. the big SUV that they use to cart people around.  After dinner, we were standing outside, quietly waiting for this ride to come get us.  We had, as per usual, nearly closed the restaurant, staying until the staff was ready to go home.  While we stood there waiting for the Escalade, Bev Gannon walks by and says hello again, walking to her car.  When we told her we were waiting for our ride to the Four Seasons, which is three minutes up the road, Bev offered us a ride in her car.  She was serious.  This award-winning chef was inviting us into her car for a quick ride to our hotel.  We thanked her, but we knew that the Escalade would soon arrive and the poor guy would look around desperately for the potentially furious hotel guests he could not find.  But I tell you this; it was a mistake.  We should have ridden with Bev, because she is supercool and it would have been a great story.


Back to the beginning...  I did not take a picture of the entrance of Gannon's.  It is inside the Golf Club and the entryway is not all that impressive, but you do have this gigantic painting by the front door.
Bev's Chef Coat.
The others had walked away, which is a shame, because you need someone standing in front of this painting to see that it is a ten foot tall painting of a chef's coat on a hanger.
Inside Gannon's.
As you can see, Gannon's is a seriously well designed restaurant.  But this was the standard, wonderfully warm Maui evening, and we dined outside under the yellow lights that likely keep the bugs away.  I mention the lights because you are about to see some seriously yellow pictures.
Appetizer special.
Full disclosure:  I am typing this six weeks late.  My apologies.  I believe that the appetizer above is a trio of ahi of some sort.  I wish I remembered.  It was delicious.
Proscuitto Bruschetta.
This appetizer is thankfully on the menu, which is thankfully online.  The Prosciutto Bruschetta includes fig, bleu cheese, pistachios, and baby arugula.  Let us peek beneath the arugula.
Appetizer revealed.
I will say this.  If you combine bleu cheese, figs, and anything, it is going to rock.  If you substitute prosciutto - Parma Ham from Parma Italy where the Waste took you this summer - for the word anything, you have yourself a foodgasm.


Barbie and I shared the two above appetizers, and then shared an entrée.
Grilled Filet of Ahi.
To be specific, "Grilled Filet of Ahi; lemon beurre blanc, mixed mushroom asparagus risotto."  Mushroom asparagus risotto is something we would order, let alone with the grilled ahi on top.  It was fantastic.  


I believe that we were too full for dessert, which is a good thing.  Now you need to imagine leaving the restaurant, calling for the Four Seasons to pick you up, and having the Chef who was responsible for an incredible meal offer you a ride.  There.  That was our evening.


Back at the Four Seasons Resort Maui...
A bride.
If it is a weekend and you are in hotel, you are going to see a bride.  This is a fact.

One last note for the day.  The Four Seasons Resort Maui has two colossal busts in their valet area.
Colossal Spiral Bust.
Colossal Striped Bust.
I cannot explain the busts to you.  But they are there, and I like them.


Hawai'i 2010, Day Two, completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment