Friday, August 6, 2010

EuroTour 2010, Day 38, Copenhagen

We woke up this morning on the coast of Copenhagen, Denmark.  Loyal readers of last year's EuroTour know that we absolutely loved Copenhagen last year.  We had an excursion planned this morning that was going to take us to castles outside the city, but Barbie was up very late working and I am feeling pretty terrible from yesterday's smoke inhalation, and we opted to stay in bed and skip the excursion.

When we felt good and ready, we went to a late breakfast.

Copenhagen, Denmark.  They get 50% of their electricity from wind.  Beat that.

I think I am going to have to start buying pineapples when we get home.  Addiction is addiction.

After that breakfast, Barbie did some packing while I did some typing/lung resting.

Lunchtime.

Believe it or not, we do look forward to preparing our own meals at home.  However, as long as there is a grill on this ship that can give me a chicken burger with bleu cheese and bacon, I shall take advantage.

After lunch Barbie did some more packing and I did some more lung resting.  Then we went to the afternoon movie Couples Retreat, which I had seen before on an airplane and thought was awful.  Guess what?  We both enjoyed it.  Sometimes all it takes to enjoy a movie is the right level of expectation.  Now, would someone like to explain to me the line Vince Vaughan delivered in regards to a videogame, "It's time to introduce the donkey to the snake."

After the movie, Barbie finished packing.  Not to kiss up to her, but packing a bit here and there throughout the day with breaks for meals and movies is the smartest, most relaxing way to pack in the world.  Barbie is a genius.

Barbie's starter; Chilled gingered pumpkin and peanut butter soup.

My starter; Ragout of morels, chicken and asparagus.

Barbie's main course; Grilled black angus sirloin steak with maitre d'butter, almond broccoli, roasted baby eggplant and twice baked potato.

My main course (out of focus); Roasted Long Island duckling, served with caramelized raspberry sauce, accompanied by braised red cabbage, brussels sprouts and Williams potatoes.

Barbie's dessert(s); Carrot and Zucchini cakes, with chocolate sorbet.

For my final last dessert on the ship, I got the Chocolate Ooze Cake again, but I happily swapped out the vanilla ice cream for tonight's special Oreo ice cream.

My father's sugar free chocolate mousse, photographed because my mother found it rather anatomical.

The cruise blog could have ended right there.  But it did not.  After resting and packing all day, Barbie felt like going into the city and I figured that it would be fun to go for a short walk.  Plus, she is secretly plotting to visit the hotel we check into tomorrow and ask for an early check-in.  Proper travel is like chess; your mind should always be several moves ahead as well as in the moment.

Copenhagen's City Hall Square.  This is one of the cleanest, loveliest cities in Europe.  It is a tad farther North than many of you ten to travel in Europe, but I highly recommend it.

We walked along the Stroget, Europe's longest pedestrian shopping street and came across this bubble hippy.  


It is impossible to not love bubbles, especially colossal bubbles.

I will just say it.  That is an amazing picture.  I cannot believe I was lucky enough to catch it.

You can literally see reflections in the colossal bubble.  Anyone dare to insult the iPhone's camera now?

There are few joys as pure as the joy a child feels when popping a gigantic soap bubble.

If only I had printed the business cards for Colossal Waste, I could have asked this young man to email that picture to me.  I might be the only person around who appreciates why he needed to get right up in his girlfriend's face with a camera while she ate ice cream.

Time to get back on the shuttle that will return us to our ship.  We will see you soon, Copenhagen City Hall and The Lur Blowers.

The Crystal Symphony, our home for one final night.

Our cabin is right THERE.

I have to admit, there can be no better final picture for our last night aboard this ship.  Tomorrow, we return to land and a hotel... and broadband speed internet!

Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment