Wednesday, August 4, 2010

EuroTour 2010, Day 36, At Sea - En Route

We are officially en route from Helsinki, Finland to Warnemunde, Germany.  I am not going to lie to you.  When you have a day at sea, and the afternoon and evening movies in the theater are awful, and you do not like the Vegas-style song and dance shows that the ship provides, and it is not a sunny day made for hanging by the pool...  well, there is little for me to share with you.

Not that Crystal did not do their best.  Today, for lunch, they turned the Crystal Plaza in front of the dining room into a Mega-Buffet.

Food, anyone?  (Barbie is in this pic, if your eye is keen.)

Do not get between a senior citizen and their desired buffet item.  Nothing good is going to come of it.

Barbie and I ate, and then went to the room for her to work and for me to type up the St. Petersburg pages.  When the sun did come out, we headed up to the pool deck but it was rather cold and windy.  We stuck it out there for a while.  I finished Kafka's The Metamorphosis, which I downloaded to iBooks on the iPhone for iFree in his hometown, Prague.  I can see how it would have been received as wildly imaginative and moderately revolutionary, fiction-wise, but I cannot say that I enjoyed it very much, either.  

There really should be a picture of my feet wrapped in a blanket by the pool, but there is not.  My bad.

For dinner, Barbie had planned ahead and on the first day booked us into Prego, the on-board Italian restaurant.

At 6 PM the sun is at its brightest over the Baltic, which means you do not get to see the sea outside the windows.

Sea salt, olive oil, and an olive & garlic dip.  I was in heaven.

My father won the appetizer prize, getting a trio sampling of starters; Vitello tonato triangle with caper berries, broiled jumbo shrimp on caponata, and grilled vegetable and buffalo mozzarella involtini.

I started with the Seared cremolata-crusted sea scallop on citrus cous-cous with merlot-red beet glaze.

Barbie and I both ordered the Prego signature cream soup of selected Italian mushrooms, served in an oregano bread cup.

Barbie had the Porcini risotto, topped with grilled jumbo prawn.

Barbie's main course, Parmesan encrusted halibut. 

I played it safe and ordered the Lasagna alla Casalinga.

Strawberry sorbet for Barbie.

Chocolate gelato for Jeff.

Barbie looked particularly pretty after dinner, and smiled for the camera.

Thus ends the least eventful day of thirty-six days.

No comments:

Post a Comment