Friday, August 28, 2009

Cabo San Lucas, Day 3

Today was supposed to be a travel day, pure and simple. Wake up, eat breakfast, head to the airport. But... a rep from the hotel called (at 8:30 AM, which is what one might call uncool) to set up a time to show us other rooms on the property.

When we finally gave up on going back to sleep, I opened the curtains.

Not a bad view to wake up to.

Yes, we ordered an omelet to share that was identical in every way to the omelet we shared yesterday.

Except that we got a fruit plate as well. This fruit was crazy good. And how cool is the coconut?

I promised you a pic of the big ass bathroom door. And I delivered. If you tell me you have seen a larger bathroom door in your life, I am going to have to demand a picture. Because without concrete proof I will think you're lying.

Hotel rep guy came and took us to several different rooms and villas on the property. I took a lot of pics. A few highlights follow.

This is the front of a Casita. It doesn't matter how ignorant you are, you likely know what that word means.

This is the view from inside the Casita. Every room at Capella Pedregal has its own private plunge pool. You saw our infinity plunge pool many times. But this plunge pool is pretty remarkable.

The plunge pool behind a two story, three bedroom villa.

Barbie loved the stone turtles that were around the property.

The guy who woke us up at 8:30 AM wanted to show us even more rooms, but we had a plane to catch. Can you imagine if I was able to blame one person for both costing me sleep and making me miss a plane? That would be a lot of animosity, I would think. Good thing we left with plenty of time to spare. Too bad I didn't take a picture of the beautifully wrapped turtle cookies that they gave to us as we left. I ate mine on the plane.

Flying out of Mexico on a Thursday is brilliant. Nobody leaves right before the weekend. Travel like this too much and you forget what standing in line is like.

This is literally the last I saw of Mexico.

We normally sit exit row, which means I take pains to frame shots from the plane around that annoying wing. For some reason, it finally occurred to me to accept the wing as not a large obstacle blocking my view but as an essential element of my view.

It isn't until you fly over other cities and then come back to Los Angeles and fly over it that you really grasp when the word "vast" should be used.

Landing.

(I left out the wing pic with Catalina in view. I think this was a mistake. Hang on for a second.)


Okay, that took longer than a second. For me. For you, it was effortless. We took that odd flight path to LAX where you go out over the ocean, then come back over the land around Long Beach Harbor, and then make a wide left swing back to the landing route over the 105 freeway. The point being, we went out over the ocean and I was suddenly looking down at Santa Catalina Island. How could I not snap one of it with my new friend, the wing?

And now we were home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment