Friday, August 28, 2009

Cabo San Lucas, Day 2

Today marks our only full day away from home this trip. After all, this was just a quickie down to Cabo to check out this new property. No need to drag it out. After being away for two months this summer, we're both pretty pleased to know we'll be home tomorrow afternoon.

Today's Agenda: Massages. Nothing else specific.

Remember how I talked yesterday about the tunnel that separates the Capella Pedregal from downtown Cabo San Lucas? There she is.

When we arrived at the restaurant for breakfast, we were again treated to the "post nuclear last couple on Earth" vibe. The red circle shows where we chose to sit. I think you'd agree that table was the only truly valid choice.

For someone who orders iced tea constantly, I'm not at all an iced tea aficionado. But here they gave three choices, two with a fruit flavor and one without. (I'm not afraid to say it was entirely based on a quick assumption about calories. I've lost 15+ lbs since Europe and I'm not letting a few days in Mexico set me back.) But with the rather good tea flavored iced tea, they gave me a shot of a cinnamon infusion. I took a tiny sip, and it was a delicious combo of cinnamon and sugar dissolved into water. I didn't pour it in, because I don't like my tea sweet, but I could see many a person being overjoyed to pour in the whole mixture.

We ordered an omelet to share, and of course they brought it pre-split onto two plates. It was an excellent omelet, though our discipline to not have cheese in it means you cannot compare it to the great omelets of Paris.

You want to know what kind of "little things" they do at Capella Pedregal to impress you? The ice cubes in my iced tea were made of the tea itself. No watering down this tea. Impressed?

Barbie hit the pool and I hit the gym. The red circle denotes the elliptical machine I spent 45 minutes on. (Had to stop short of an hour for the spa appointment.) You know what was awesome? I wasn't crazy about the music in the gym, and as I was about to put in my iPhone's earbuds I noticed that the music was coming from one of those boom-box iPod cradles. Since I was alone in the gym and, really, nobody was coming in there no matter how long I worked out, I pulled their iPod out and put my iPhone in and, voilà, the music playing throughout the gym happened to be all the music on my iPhone shuffling. Privacy rules.

By the way... people checked in! There are now at least 5-8 other guests; they walked by the gym as I worked out.

At this point, we go to the spa for massages. It's a shame I left the iPhone in the room. The spa facilities were wonderful, with a separate pool as well as steam, sauna, jacuzzi, and a cool room with crushed ice in the center. The massage rooms were around the pool, with stones you walked across to your massage. Now... sure, those would have been great pics. But it didn't seem like a good idea to bring the iPhone along.

We headed "into town" for dinner. It is dreadful. All the main streets are torn apart by a corrupt construction company that has taken forever to complete the new-look streets and sidewalks. I didn't take pictures of the guys trying to drag me into places where women dance around poles. Yes, they asked me to go in spite of being an old white guy walking with his wife. (Full disclosre, my skin is not at all white so maybe I just looked like a guy, not a white guy.)

We walked to... the Hard Rock.

I got myself a Cadillac, but I can't afford the gasoline. (This one rests over the Hard Rock doorway.)

My Corona Light (it IS Mexico, after all) and Barbie's Coke in a guitar.

I neglected, somehow, to take a picture of my tortilla soup and Barbie's nachos & chicken strips. It was all very tasty.

The torches that line the tunnel back to Capella Pedregal.

Sometimes you play around with pics. In this instance, the minimalist imagery of the tunnel torches made for a nifty kaleidoscope image, no?

And thus ends our full day in Cabo. Mañana we fly home. Like a bank job, "In and out, nobody gets hurt."

No comments:

Post a Comment