Saturday, November 6, 2010

NYC, November 2010, Day 6

One of the brilliant things that Barbie does when planning travel is booking afternoon flights.  Nothing beats being able to take your time on your last day in a city, especially because it means having no stress about getting to the airport.

And with that, today we shall meet Denise for a late breakfast, go for a walk down Fifth Avenue to Central Park, and then head over to JFK.  Piece of cake.

One last view out the hotel room window.  Can you beat a blue, Autumn sky?
A NYC Diner Breakfast.  I would be lying if I said that this was very good.  It was a little awful.  (In fact, Barbie just whipped up some pancakes at home eleven days later that were around a jillion times tastier than the above pancakes.  But hey, this diner was just two blocks from the hotel.)
Imagine me, your humble Colossal Waste photographer, stopping in the middle of the crosswalk to take this picture while my wife and Denise keep walking.  Yes, I felt like a dork, and it was well worth it.  If you open this in a new window, you will see the Chrysler Building.
Fifth Avenue, New York City, New York, USA.
Fifth Avenue Candid, Blacked & Whited for those who, like me, feel that sometimes you can see more without color.
St. Patrick's Cathedral, better known as, "Barbie's favorite church in Manhattan."
Autumn leaves in Central Park.
This is actually one of those vertical panoramas.  I wanted you to see the buildings reflected in the lake as well as above the tree line.
Central Park's Wollman Rink.  You know, during election season and such, it seems like there is often a spotlight shined on perceived differences between people in the city and people in country.  Specifically, I can recall an interview with a gentleman in Alaska where he said that New York was an awful place filled with people who do not appreciate America and the outdoors.  The worst thing about this is that you know the man got his opinion not from a visit but from the media.  Because if he visited Central Park, I believe his impression of New York would drastically change.
Back at the Andaz, I thought I finally get a daytime shot of the Empire State building.
On the way to JFK, escaping Manhattan via tunnel.
That is not our plane to Los Angeles.
This is our plane to Los Angeles.
You know that I love empty airport terminal pictures.
There is one word to describe this gentleman, "Dapper."  He could barely walk, and is at the age where his body is working against him.  But in repose, he can let his dapper self shine.
The light columns of Los Angeles International Airport.  I think that I enjoy seeing the taxi meter as much as the light columns.  It feels good to be home.

Until the next trip, I bid you adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment