Thursday, April 15, 2010

Aspen, April 2010, Day 5

Let me begin with an apology. This morning Barbie made eggs, bacon and toast for three in the condo. It was delicious and I should have taken a picture. I did not. Which is a shame, because one thing I always love about having a kitchen when we travel is that breakfast can be totally normal. We can even eat in our pajamas.

That said, yesterday a plan was made that would make today the most structured day of the week. Barbie and Sean signed up for a four our fly fishing expedition, with myself going along to document it all.

After our late breakfast we went down to the lobby and met up with our guide, donned gaiters, and we were off.

Inside our guide's vehicle, on the way to the river. Our guide's name is Sean, but to avoid confusion I shall refer to him exclusively as, "the guide," and refer to our friend Sean as "Sean."

Fisher woman ready to conquer the wild. Conquer in this instance loosely translates to, "catch and release."

We first walked out over this bridge to peruse the river.

Nature is beautiful.

We will be fly fishing THERE.

Thanks to this sign I shall forever know that we went fly fishing on the Roaring Fork River. I would bet you five dollars my companions do not know this fact, unless they read it on this blog. (Sean knew it was "Something Fork River," which is pretty dang close.)

Sean's first fish, on its way to the net.

Come here, fishy fishy fishy.

I claim this fish for the King of Spain.

Sean up river, embodying Bradley Pitt.

Young Barbara, getting her first fly fishing lesson.

Going it alone! (Okay, I framed out the guide. He's still right next to her.)

Now that is the kind of smile you only find in nature.

So... Sean and Barbie signed up for this, I did not. But our guide was nice and said I could join in, and when Barbie was tired and wanted a break he let me jump right in.

I might as well confess. After a little while, not too fast or slow, I hooked one. After a pretty prolonged tug of war, I got that fish. And... I handed my iPhone to the guide so that he could snap a picture. Obsessive? Too much? Hey! Need I remind you that catch and release is all about the victory pic.

There is nothing about this picture that is not silly. From the silly fact that I handed my iPhone to the dude to the silly way I am holding this fish to the silly expression on my face.

Barbara back at it, giving the fish heck.

That is a sincerely joyful smile. A few hours later she posted to Facebook, "Fly fishing is good for the soul."

Sean is fly fishing right THERE.

Barbie gets another little friend on the line.

Gentle... Gentle...

There. Got him.

Here we have one last shot of the river. Barbie probably has some pics of me fishing on her camera, but we will all have to wait for them to be downloaded. No doubt I look majestic out there.

After that, it was back to the St. Regis. Sean and I were hungry, and knew exactly what we wanted.

Boogie's chocolate malt... and fries.

After that, we walked back and saw the lovely hybrid vehicles used by the Aspen Police.

After this, we ate a great meal in the condo and then hopped down for a dip in the jacuzzi.

Believe it or not, I took over one hundred pictures today. Madness.

Tomorrow, literally nothing planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment